Food Safety Control
Import control for non animal origin food
Due to import control procedures for products from third countries Food and Veterinary Service evaluated product conformity with legislative acts for food safety, clasification, quality and labelling (included Protected Designation of Origin, Traditional Speciality Guaranteed and Organic farming). The Food and Veterinary Service carries out control of compliance with safety, quality, classification and other specific requirements on different product groups.
Subject of food safety control are:
- Food additives
- Food flavouring
- Materials and articles intended to come into contact with food
- Food intended for infants and young children
- Processed cereal-based food and baby food
- Food for special medical purposes
- Total diet replacement for weight control
- Sugar and salt
- Food irradiation
- Alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks
- Drinking and mineral water
- Food supplements
- Dietetic food
- Novel food
- Genetic modified food
- Organic food
Food and Veterinary Service does not control export and transit food consignment going to third countries.
Consignments import into Latvia through designated point of import / entry (DPI / FPE) for food safety control is required:
- Importers shall register in Food and veterinary Service in the register of persons involved in the circulation of food and materials and articles intended to come into contact with food.
- Business operators, at least 24 hours prior notice to the Food and Veterinary Service inspectors of the mentioned products import, either electronically or by fax by sending a Common Entry Document Part I to designated point of entry (DPE) or designated point of import (DPI) located in ports, railway, post, airport and road.
Questions & Answers Paper on the provisions of Commission Regulation (EC) No 669/2009 as regards the increased level of official controls on imports of certain feed and food of non-animal origin
Food intended for infants and young children, food for special medical purposes, and total diet replacement for weight control are regulated by: